Thursday, August 24

Yes

How did you know?

That you could just speak softly, and it would
slice my mind into shreds that cannot see each other;
and the bits would float here and there and
collide in confusion even as they remain
warmly cocooned in that soft silk handkerchief
that your words weave so gently.

And everything you say is just
the whipped cream on a warm rich coffee cup
which lies on your desk four thousand miles away.

So how is it that I wake up with the dark heady fragrance
that lies beneath and threatens the core that rules?

The knotted knuckles, the open palm, the fiercely tender grip
of waiting arms and the raging head
inclined just enough to rest lightly on mine as I
press my cheek to yours... craving its strange dark sweetness.

You didn't say what I thought you would.
You didn't do what I thought you might.
You just stayed awake and kept me afloat all through the stormy ride.
Chased me when I hid, teased me when I froze,
laughed when I ranted and cried with me in silent confusion

And oh we played, like no two people ever had.
Like no two people ever will.

Cut

Retake

You didn't know
That I could be who you
wanted me to

and that with every tender word I cut a piece of you
and preserve it till the salt and vinegar
sting you into cosy shades of purple
and you look in the mirror and smile
at the stranger you live with now
pink with pleasure cradled
in casual clever crimson

As you soak deeper into the jar of honey
with invisible inches of the inflammable
pasts we'd both forgotten

and the futures that we willingly burn
for one smoke filled night.

19 comments:

... said...

You had me at the title. That could have been it, but it just got better.

This was volatile - probably my all-time fave of yours.

Prmod Bafna said...

Wow! you never seize to amaze!! absolutely smashing write with a very controlled flow!! Definitely one of my all time favs of yours too! :p

no name said...

Cut right through me.
Incredibly relate to it..

Inkblot said...

doc:was hoping no one quite catches on to the title thing- but you always seem to get it somehow!
(volatile..and this is an edited version !)


pb:thanks for the 'controlled flow' bit- when it flows I usually have no control and make little attempt to exert any :P


merryweather:hmmm, well now...


cherie:thank you

Anonymous said...

Arresting first stanza, have been coming back to admire it over and over again. Could do with a little tightening though. My take.

Anonymous said...

Here. Like I promised. I intend to read all the ones I missed while I was away.

Aradhita said...

This one was truely amazing, from what it could mean to what it may mean...from every halt, to every bend and anticlimactic sharp turn and dead ends, I enjoyed it :)

aria said...

This is so different from your other poems. Absolutely lovely .. would satisfy even the most discerning reader.

Inkblot said...

aradhita: it doesn't say what it means- hopefully :)


aria: dfferent? really? how?
and thanks for that last bit!

Margie said...

Wow!
This is a wondeful poem!
I really enjoyed it so much!
Take care!

Inkblot said...

E:yes, agreed. and thanks. feedback always welcome.


Ph: should I say stuff like 'thine hallowed footsteps...' or just shrug and say 'will wait and watch..?' :P

Inkblot said...

Omni: hello!


Samuru99: thank you and will do :)

Russell CJ Duffy said...

when i grow up i will become you

San said...

:)

i'm starting to get some of your poems now ... taking my time to savour the taste they leave in my mind

shikha said...

oohhhh..this was very well written INK..

Here after very long..but i am glad that i dropped by..

Inkblot said...

cj: DO :)


san: REALLY???? I don't myself :P


shikha: thanks and do come by again.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

i will.

now send me one of your frocks so i can start the process now!

Radhika said...

The 'retake' is amazing, such beautiful use of colours....in the most unusual yet sublte way!! Impressed...Totally!

Radhika said...

The 'retake' part is amazing...such beautiful use of colours... in the most unsual yet subtle way! Impressed...totally!!