Friday, April 7

The owl and the pussycat (remixed)

<
Illustrated by Donna L. Derstine (1959 - )


I

The owl and the pussycat met at dawn
In a city by the sea
They went for a stroll, looking oh so droll
Holding hands as lovers should be.

The owl looked up to the sun above
And said, could we step indoors?
I’ll sing you a song you’ve never heard
Feed you bread and cheese and more.

And more
And more

Not bread and cheese, but more.

II

Pussy said to the owl, you delicate fowl
What a sweet clever way to ask
Oh let us then kiss, in cool shady bliss
And down the beer from the cask.

They rode the waves for a night and a day
In a land where the honey tree grows
Just the stars above, watched them sweetly make love
Till a wicked sun arose.

It rose
It rose

The wicked sun rose and all the passion froze.


III

Said the owl to the pussy
You scheming hussy,why didn’t I see it before
And pussy just smiled and let him go wild
As they kicked and screamed some more.

And the very next day, they both ran away
And vowed they would meet again soon
When they were lonely, and perhaps if only

To dance by the light of the moon

The moon
The moon

Just to dance by the light of the moon.

<
Courtesy of Home Office Mall

Notes: I like stories which don't end, and as for poems I rarely figure out if they do... like the original below
...and did they live happily ever after?


The Owl and the Pussycat
- 1871 - by Edward Lear

The Owl and the Pussy-Cat went to sea
In a beautiful pea-green boat:
They took some honey,
and plenty of money
Wrapped up in a five-pound note

The Owl looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar,
"O lovely Pussy, O Pussy, my love,
What a beautiful Pussy you are,
You are,
You are!
What a beautiful Pussy you are!"

Pussy said to the Owl, "You elegant fowl,
How charmingly sweet you sing!
Oh! let us be married;
too long we have tarried:
But what shall we do for a ring?"
They sailed away, for a year and a day,
To the land where the bong-tree grows;
And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood,
With a ring at the end of his nose,
His nose,
His nose,
With a ring at the end of his nose.

Dear Pig, are you willing to sell for one shilling
Your ring?" Said the Piggy, "I will."
So they took it away, and were married next day
By the Turkey who lives on the hill.
They dined on mince and slices of quince,
Which they ate with a runcible spoon;

And hand in hand on the edge of the sand
They danced by the light of the moon,
The moon,
The moon,
They danced by the light of the moon.

15 comments:

San said...

no comment just smiles. :)

Prmod Bafna said...

I'm not a fan of remixes as such.. but this remix was gooood ;)

Russell CJ Duffy said...

ah. now i get it.
thanks for this EDWARD

Inkblot said...

San: smiles back :D

PB: thanks, I usually trash remixes with a vengeance but thought I'd experiment..

CJ: ok persistent papa, of course I'm a man!

Anonymous said...

I love this one. One, it sounds like you and seems very free. Two, I love illustrations! They go well together here too.

Bravo!

Anonymous said...

A different tone again:

Hmmmm...Life is a journey into eternity:)
So where is the ring?

[Hope it's okay to comment...]

Inkblot said...

SG: I think Iput the illustrations in the wrong order but anyhow, couldn't resist them.

Free- yes, to dance by the light of the moon, always a favourite pastime :)


Anon: it was never about the ring. Do not care yet about eternity, but different tones, I do.

Of course its OK to comment, and to introduce yourself! :)

aria said...

So romantic .. n sucha ebullient setting ..
But I have a dirty mind. In stuff like these - I always read double(meaning!) .. lol

... said...

The remix read like a song. Especially enjoyed the visualization of the owl and the pussy dancing by the light of the moon...

Russell CJ Duffy said...

a man? really? somehow the thought of you with a hairy arse and hairy legs gives me a fit of the giggles!

mermaid said...

It's hard to accept the same thing in the light of day, isn't it?

Clever, Inks. So many under and overtones of The Relationship in this.

Inkblot said...

Aria: but I like keeping t simple :D

Doc:well now, that is my favourite line...

mermaid: hey thats a cool phrase.Thanks.

Don't think the O and P quite saw it that way, though!

The Individualist said...

Me too @ Aria. lol
But it made me smile incessantly...
The second poem was soooo childishly cute.
The first one of course was more mature. And light hearted. And the ending especially or should I say the lack of it, made for a beautiful finish. Hmm been a while since I read fairy tales... Should step onto those one of these days again... But the only sore point. Just for me. I like the sun so much that I can't bear it being undermined, in any case... Eh but that's just me. A cute post.

aparna said...

Hmmm... i think i posted the comment for this one, in the previous comment window :P

is there a way to switch?! :(

Inkblot said...

individualist: hey, thanks.
It wasn't the sun's fault really, but then someone had to take the blame :)
and fairy tales are so much fun- do write about them sometime.

Aparna: you would have to delete the comment and post it in the other box, but it doesn't really matter.
Don't we all love a bit of romance, especially when there's so little of it floating around apparently!