Wednesday, March 15

A day in the life

This is my life
And its your life too.

Sitting at my keyboard
Making it come true.

Boats on the harbour
Passing me by
Kids in the playground
Making me sigh.

Coffee in the morning
Coffee at night
Plough through the day
Quake through the night.

Scan through the words
That others have spilt
Marvel at worlds
They've carefully built.

Turn on the TV
Devour the news
Shrug in dismay
At those facile views.

Answer the telephone
Pick up a book
Patiently wait
For the pasta to cook.

Launder the linen
Clean the ashtray
Compose a poem
My very own way.

Time for a break
Cookies to bake
Vacuum the carpet
Though nothing's at stake.

Wait for the doorbell
that never rings
Look for the bird
that never sings.

Hunt for that letter
I never received
Reach for the one
Who always deceived.

Back to that screen now
Cosy and warm
Lending me solace
Keeping me strong.

Its all I need
Its all I do

This is my life
And its your life too.

18 comments:

mermaid said...

Loneliness is my demon and my solace.

death said...

the boats are all stranded and lonely. Will you sail and go where you want to go? Will you walk and run like you once did before? Won't you :D

The Individualist said...

Beautiful.
Tells me in a deeper sense that every second is worth living. Tells me that its a fallacy to be overawed by the thought of one's life waiting to be lived. Tells me that the fallacy is not when you get overawed. But the fallacy is when you look at life as a whole and keep looking at it and wonder if you;ll ever be strong enough to do something about it. Tells me to look at seconds. Those tiny teeny weeny seconds. That can be manipulated and distorted at our own will. Bend them. And life will bend your way. I could write a essay on what you wrote. On what it told me.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

ouch.

GhostOfTomJoad said...

Hmm, somehow reminds me of "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons" and "I grow old...I grow old". Good stuff!

Inkblot said...

mermaid:yes

death: I have motion sickness so boats are out!

individualist:I'll mull on that while you write the essay..

cj:its not a bad life

Ghost..:that hurt.

GhostOfTomJoad said...

Really? It simply meant that your poem reminded me of the lines I quoted from Eliot... in which case I don't know why you shoud feel hurt. It's not a comment on you, if that's what you mean.

aria said...

kewl .. using usual scenarios and everyday conundrums to explore issues that are much deeper than usual :)

Pincushion said...

Ditto CJ!
ouch!..hit a nerve, it did, all the more for its everyday-ness-on-the-surface-below-shit..
will be back again and again :)

Anonymous said...

:) true

San said...

... you must be so tired of hearing it but that was nice.

i might just admire from a distance

another illusion said...

i just loved this one.
mundane life in loneliness.

Elena Horowitz-Brookes said...

You've certainly captured that feeling of living on a solitary treadmill. This took me into a quiet, sad space; somewhere many have been in one way or another.

... said...

Those colloquial things do add up to something much larger, and say a lot. This poem is a world and universe unto itself.

Anonymous said...

Hunt for that letter
I never received
Reach for the one
Who always deceived....

nice breaker...:)
but its still true and a reason 2 relate 2..;)

Inkblot said...

Ghost..: you are forgiven

Ô¿Ô,Aria, Boulies,CNO,sen, illusion, pincushion, SS, Sangeeta: thanks for all those nice words and for reading me

Priyank Gupta said...

Brilliant poem...
And not only this one, but others too.
Keep up the amazing work. Some of them are quite touching. :D

Prerona said...

lol.much better handled. touche. i just knewed it - enigmatic and sarcastic hadnt been the right touch ;)