Thursday, January 19

Devil may care

The Devil walked into my office the other day.

Strolled in casually,wearing a smug grin, starched white shirt,
crumpled khakis (heartstopping) and yes, the most divine pair
of grunge green shoes I'd ever laid eyes on.

Ignored me pleasantly and made himself at home - long legs
sprawled unbecomingly, slurping the darkest Colombian coffee
out of my lilies and doves mug. Lazily reached for an oatmeal
cracker and swore sweetly after the first onslaught on his
delicate palate.

I watched.

Fiddled with the nouveau design studded desk calendar,
flicked contemptuously through my all- important intray
and reached possessively for my little black book.

I froze.

Squinted quizzically, raised an eyebrow, assumed his
bored-est expression and drifted around my manicured
cabin examining slices of my work existence organised
in neat sheets of paper on the walls. Browsed my
carefully put together urgent task list on the whiteboard,
the coveted awards and little snippets of 'thank you's'
and 'you did it' designed to remind me I'm a 'fighter',
and all that blood and sweat was not for nothing!

Shrugged dismissively.

And all the while I watched.

Paused awhile by the window, soaked in the sunny view over
rooftops of lesser offices, brushed past my shiny black
leather seat, pierced my computer screen with a searching
eye and came dangerously close...

Talk to me while I look at your shoes.
Its freezing in here. Turn up the lights.
Let me look at you. No please. Don't say a word.

This is my corner not yours.


Footfalls in the corridoor. Staring at the half closed
door and empty room.

More coffee?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

reminded me of that jennifer aniston and kevin bacon movie - picture perfect.

you write very well.

anjali

death said...

haah