Friday, February 17

Burst that bubble now

Speeding down route 66. Desertland, pickup trucks, diners and desolation.
Brave blue California sky, soft pink mountains slurring into the distance, ignoring the prickly cacti that awkwardly abound the yellow wasteland.

Break off a tiny piece of one-5mm perhaps-and its enough to burst a carefully preserved bubble- that was feeding on your dreams (and starting to resemble something in desperate need of the south beach diet).

I'd always thought bubbles were meant to be these awfully pretty, delicate, transparent , magic balls that you kiss with your breath and make fly till they collect every colour of the rainbow- just to make you smile.

I feel like a child when I make bubbles and I want more and more. Make them float all around me as I spin in delight chasing one and sticking my tongue out at another. Wasn't there always one though, which was special? Just a little bigger, better or just different perhaps, now drifting close, catching your eye and then naughtily gliding out of reach or proudly proclaiming its power over you?

Popeye's chicken and biscuits staring in my face. Highway country, Ronald Mcdonald grinning all over his painted face, ugly yellow hair you can never forget.
Another mile, another freeway, another bubble. Searching the horizon for that special one that played tricks with your mind and threatened to envelop you in its fragile beauty.
Hard brown rock coated in soft crumbly mud, racing by. Still smoky clouds sunbathing above a purple hill in the distance, careful not to get too close.
And I can see that bubble stalking me, mocking me. Prick me if you dare!. Hold me if you care. I'll break you I swear.

Closer now, I can feel its warm wet breath choking my senses till its sweetness makes me want to breathe no more..
The sun fades into the burning sky and I struggle to break free. Caged rigid in that symmetrical glassy bowl of light, paralysed by that monstrous beauty of my own creation. Tightening its iron grip now as I watch in fascinated horror. Where are all those safety pins when you need them?

Shut your eyes, surrender and pray for a miracle.

And it comes. One keen raindrop shooting through the icy stillness, from far above. Piercing the heart of a bubble caught unawares.
Soapsuds on my face. Gulp in a ton of fresh air. Sob in relief and dig my feet into the ground.

Another day, another time, same world.
And somewhere another crazy bubble is being born. Run!

2 comments:

mermaid said...

Somehow, we needed those protective bubbles of imagination as little ones. We created our own space to revel in our own delight.

We still make these bubbles, don't we? The difference as adults is that when the bubble pops, we have a harder time creating another one.

Jozlyn said...

Thanks so very much for this wonderful gift you've given. I'm about to embark on my third cross-country trek, second one solo. I imagine that as I drive those lonely miles I will be thinking of pink mountains and sweet bubbles. The desert is truely my favorite place to be.

This will give me a smile when I'm frustrated and tired. Thank you for that gift :)